Thursday, July 12, 2007
Booking It Through Thursday
Booking It Through Thursday

1. In your opinion, what is the best translation of a book to a movie?

The Stand. I had really low expectations for the movie after reading the book, which is one of my all time favorites, but I wasn't disappointed at all. I don't know how many times I've watched it.

2. The worst?

Definitely, without a doubt Dean Koontz's The Watchers. It's my favorite book by him but the movie was a complete and total disaster. I can't understand why the most fundamental thing about a book has to be changed. In the book the hero was an adult male, the heroine a woman he meets and falls in love with (Yah, have to have the romance). In the movie they turn the hero into a teenaged boy and the heroine is his mom (no, no romance in the movie). They turn good guys in the book to bad guys in the movie and vice versa. If I had seen the movie first I never would've read the book.

3. Had you read the book before seeing the movie, and did that make a difference? (Personally, all other things being equal, I usually prefer whichever I was introduced to first.)

I read the book first and was thrilled when I saw that it had been made into a movie. That thrill was stomped into a bloody pulp about 5 minutes into the movie. Boo hiss!!!!
posted by Ceri Hebert @ 3:44 AM  
6 Comments:
  • At July 12, 2007 at 5:31 AM, Blogger Chris said…

    If the book is better, it completely ruins the movie watching experience, doesn't it?

     
  • At July 12, 2007 at 7:06 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    I put The Stand on my list as well!! Love, love, loved this book!! And the mini-series was great (with the exception of Molly Ringwald...yuk!)

    Happy Thursday!

     
  • At July 12, 2007 at 7:39 AM, Blogger Barbara H. said…

    I haven't read the books you mentioned, but I share your frustration when filmmakers change such important parts of the story.

    Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

     
  • At July 12, 2007 at 8:15 AM, Blogger Marianne Arkins said…

    Oh... I forgot about "Watchers". That was one of Koontz' BEST BOOKS. The movie was simply the worst. Ugh.

    Happy BTT!

     
  • At July 12, 2007 at 11:58 AM, Blogger Julia said…

    I do read a few of Dean Koontz's books but never knew that Watchers was made into movie. I'm still a little new on Dean Koontz books, but getting there.

     
  • At July 15, 2007 at 6:40 AM, Blogger CJ said…

    What is it about "Watchers" that defies a decent movie version?

    I love Koontz and "Watchers" is one of my favorites. I'd like to see a competent, faithful movie version. Is that asking too much?

    cjh

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
The WeatherPixie


The Legacy:


DREAMERS SEA (REDUX):


THAT KIND OF MAGIC--AVAILABLE NOVEMBER 17,2010 What's a witch to do when she refuses to use magic to find love? Beautiful Wiccan Charlotte Noone has a shop for magical supplies and a goddess who's pushing her to find the man of her dreams. When Patrick Riordan, a straight-laced non-believer enters her life, Charlotte falls madly in lust with him. Despite their very different lives, neither can stop the erotic journey they’ve embarked on, but will it be enough to break through their barriers so they can accept that love itself is magical?. .
about me
My Photo
Name:
Location: Southwestern, New Hampshire, United States

I'm 44 year old mom of 3. I work as a customer service rep for a publishing company, and I write. I have five published novels and working on adding to that.

Previous Posts
Archives
Blogs I Read
Template By
Free Blogger Templates
© Ceri Hebert