Saturday, November 29, 2008
Writer Envy
I'm sure everyone who has any access to any form of the media has heard of the movie and book series Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. I want to be like her. Yes, I've considered trying to write a young adult story. No, not a vampire series because I'm not inclined to write about vampires or werewolves. I do have an idea, maybe gearing my fantasy (the one I've wanted to write forever and started a while... a loooooong while ago.) toward a young adult audience. Hey, looks like there's a market, right? So why not?

My 12 year old started, and finished reading Twilight and I've never seen her so starry eyed. She talks non-stop about Edward, she's reread favorite chapters, she has his pictures on her wall. I think I was that way about John Schneider (of Dukes of Hazard fame) and Dirk Benedict (from his Starbuck-the original Starbuck days). She gave me the book to read. I was iffy about it, after all, I'm in my 40's, I tend to gravitate toward love stories about adults, but I heard good things about it, that it brought out the inner teenager of many a woman. I'm all for that.

Last night we went to see the movie and I gotta say, it was awesome! Oh, young love. One of my favorite talk radio hosts, who had to see the movie with his tweenage daughter, said it well (and I paraphrase): "He was really really in love with her but he really really wanted to eat her. That's gotta be tough." MG said it better.

So I stayed up and read a little more last night. I want to see what it is that makes everyone crazy for these stories (because there's, what 4 of them now?). The writing is good, but it isn't absolutely fantastic (with all due respect to the author). I'm not far enough into the story yet, but she's got a nice style about her. It's not fluffy or florid. Just clean writing.

A coworker came up to me yesterday and told me she was hearing an interview with Stephanie Meyer and thought of me. This is a woman who's a mother of, I think, three who had a vivid dream and, with a baby on her hip, started writing it down. And voila, Twilight. And on and on and on.

So, moral here.... stop making excuses! I've been doing this for 20 years and she did it in 4 months.

I want to be her.

Labels: ,

posted by Ceri Hebert @ 4:24 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At November 29, 2008 at 5:10 AM, Blogger Sarita Leone said…

    Twilight has been on my must-read list for so long. I actually went to Wal Mart last week to pick it up and they were sold out. I'm looking forward to seeing what all the buzz is about.

    Big congrats on your NaNo novel! Way to go!!

     
  • At November 29, 2008 at 5:47 AM, Blogger Marianne Arkins said…

    I loved "Twilight"... I did NOT love the rest of the books in the series. I'm in the minority, of course! LOL...

    But, yeah. She's pretty incredible.

     
  • At November 29, 2008 at 7:30 PM, Blogger Diane Craver said…

    I haven't read Twilight or seen the movie. I've heard so much about it and thinking maybe I should read the book first, then see the movie.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
The WeatherPixie


The Legacy:


DREAMERS SEA (REDUX):


THAT KIND OF MAGIC--AVAILABLE NOVEMBER 17,2010 What's a witch to do when she refuses to use magic to find love? Beautiful Wiccan Charlotte Noone has a shop for magical supplies and a goddess who's pushing her to find the man of her dreams. When Patrick Riordan, a straight-laced non-believer enters her life, Charlotte falls madly in lust with him. Despite their very different lives, neither can stop the erotic journey they’ve embarked on, but will it be enough to break through their barriers so they can accept that love itself is magical?. .
about me
My Photo
Name:
Location: Southwestern, New Hampshire, United States

I'm 44 year old mom of 3. I work as a customer service rep for a publishing company, and I write. I have five published novels and working on adding to that.

Previous Posts
Archives
Blogs I Read
Template By
Free Blogger Templates
© Ceri Hebert