Thursday, October 29, 2009
Critting
I'm ready to throw up my hands and go it alone with editing. I'm getting such conflicting opinions within the crit group I belong to, and while I'm getting lots of good suggestions I also hear "you have too many details, it slows down the pace." and "you need more details so I feel like I'm there." And "what is her/his tone of voice when she/he says that?" and "you don't need so many dialogue tags."

My head is spinning!

I'll admit it freely, I like details. I like knowing how things sound and smell and look, how a shadow is cast, how something feels to the touch. It's how I write. Maybe this means I'll have trouble with getting published with Harlequin or I'll just have to compromise what I want to get across.

November 1st is just around the corner and I'm still not 100% positive on what project I'll work on, the total rewrite on Dreamer's Sea or my brand new story idea. At this point I'm going to end up doing "eeny meeny miney mo" on Sunday morning. Well, we'll see.

Labels: ,

posted by Ceri Hebert @ 1:53 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At October 29, 2009 at 3:30 AM, Blogger Marianne Arkins said…

    I'll be honest... I prefer to have one or two people help me crit -- usually one or two people I know well, and trust their opinions. I used to do group crits at WVU, but they were just as bad as what you're getting.

    I have a couple people that I can email stuff to for feedback, and that's IT. Too many cooks spoil the broth.

    And how can it almost be November? October FLEW by...

     
  • At October 29, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Whatever you decide for NaNo, Ceri, I'm sure it'll be fantastic. As for those critters...write the way you write. Period. They're critiquing your *style*, not your story, and that's not for them to do. :) Just my 2 cent's worth, as always.

     
  • At October 30, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Blogger Diane Craver said…

    I like details. Good luck on your decision about what to work on during the NaNo challenge.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
The WeatherPixie


The Legacy:


DREAMERS SEA (REDUX):


THAT KIND OF MAGIC--AVAILABLE NOVEMBER 17,2010 What's a witch to do when she refuses to use magic to find love? Beautiful Wiccan Charlotte Noone has a shop for magical supplies and a goddess who's pushing her to find the man of her dreams. When Patrick Riordan, a straight-laced non-believer enters her life, Charlotte falls madly in lust with him. Despite their very different lives, neither can stop the erotic journey they’ve embarked on, but will it be enough to break through their barriers so they can accept that love itself is magical?. .
about me
My Photo
Name:
Location: Southwestern, New Hampshire, United States

I'm 44 year old mom of 3. I work as a customer service rep for a publishing company, and I write. I have five published novels and working on adding to that.

Previous Posts
Archives
Blogs I Read
Template By
Free Blogger Templates
© Ceri Hebert