Friday, July 11, 2008
Juggling
I've got two writing projects up in the air right now. I've got the edits and the crits going on Dreamer's Sea and I've been typing my fingers off to get my notebook full of Where I'll Stay onto my Word document. I'm really happy with this WIP. The heroine in this story is so different from my heroine in Dreamer's Sea. She's actually fun to write. I'm going to hate to leave her behind when I have to get back to DS full time.

The crits I've been getting for DS have been for the most part really positive. The one thing people have been saying that the beginning is a bit long and not much action. It frustrates me a bit. I feel like I'm walking a fine line here. It's a longer book than the others, I liked taking the time to set up the scene, draw the reader in. But I don't want to lose them either.

I know I've agonized over this before. And I'm sure I'll agonize over it again.

At least I don't have this problem with Where I'll Stay. But it's a totally different story.

________________________________________________________________

The dreaded summer work has arrived. I may have to be putting in some overtime at work to get what I need to do. Just great. Oh well... my bank account is hungry.

And now for a little fun....

Labels: , ,

posted by Ceri Hebert @ 2:13 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At July 11, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Blogger Marianne Arkins said…

    Finding the right opening is HARD. I know this, though -- I don't give books much of a chance. If I'm not hooked by something (and it doesn't have to be exciting stuff, but it does have to be a hook), then I put it down after a couple of pages. I don't have time to waste on books I don't love.

    Good luck!

     
  • At July 11, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Blogger Ceri Hebert said…

    I agree. It took me about 4 times to get into Stephen King's The Stand because of the beginning, but once I did, I couldn't put it down.

    So, what's a person to do. I'm having such mixed opinions about the opening scene.

     
  • At July 14, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Blogger Diane Craver said…

    I will try to read an opening of a book a few times before I put it down and forget about it. When I read Sophia Kinsella for the first time, I had trouble getting past the first few pages of CAN YOU KEEP A SECRET? But was glad I did because ended up loving it and went on to read her other books.

    Good luck with your opening. I had this problem with Never the Same and kept making changes. You want the reader to care about the characters right away but also need to get to action quickly - it's hard.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
The WeatherPixie


The Legacy:


DREAMERS SEA (REDUX):


THAT KIND OF MAGIC--AVAILABLE NOVEMBER 17,2010 What's a witch to do when she refuses to use magic to find love? Beautiful Wiccan Charlotte Noone has a shop for magical supplies and a goddess who's pushing her to find the man of her dreams. When Patrick Riordan, a straight-laced non-believer enters her life, Charlotte falls madly in lust with him. Despite their very different lives, neither can stop the erotic journey they’ve embarked on, but will it be enough to break through their barriers so they can accept that love itself is magical?. .
about me
My Photo
Name:
Location: Southwestern, New Hampshire, United States

I'm 44 year old mom of 3. I work as a customer service rep for a publishing company, and I write. I have five published novels and working on adding to that.

Previous Posts
Archives
Blogs I Read
Template By
Free Blogger Templates
© Ceri Hebert