Sunday, June 7, 2009
The Evil "Was"
Well, another publisher was heard from. L&L Dreamspell emailed me today saying they're passing for now on Forever Home. One reason was my overuse of the sentence weakening "was". And I thought I was a "that" queen. Guess I'm now a "was" queen.

The other reason was that the storyline wasn't unique enough. Too many stories that are similar out there at the moment.

So, here I sit and wonder what to do with the evil "was"es. (was's? wuzzes?) If I take a sentence: "Galloping across the prairie was the way she wanted to live her life." how do I get rid of that annoying evil little "was"? Oh, I'm sure there are plenty of ways to do it and when I sit down and really go over this manuscript with a fine toothed comb I'll come up with ways to fix them. I'll get right on that tomorrow, even if means sacraficing some "new" writing time.


And then the next question popped into my head: Are the rest of my manuscripts just as overused? Have the storylines been done to death? How can I make them so unique editors are going to be clamoring all over me to be the first to get that fantastic fresh idea. And is there such a thing as "fresh ideas" out there?

So, it's time for me to take stock of what I have, what I'm doing. No, I'm not going to bail on the writing business. Absolutely not. This is a challenge to me, figuring my way around this.

I really have to thank the editor at L&L Dreamspell for letting me know just why she wasn't requesting a full on this book. It's probably the biggest help of all. Because without the feedback how can an author grow and improve?

Oh, and I just sent out a query to Avon for Forever Home. So I best get my fingers going on the keyboard and do battle with the Evil Wuzzes.

Labels: , ,

posted by Ceri Hebert @ 6:47 PM  
6 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
The WeatherPixie


The Legacy:


DREAMERS SEA (REDUX):


THAT KIND OF MAGIC--AVAILABLE NOVEMBER 17,2010 What's a witch to do when she refuses to use magic to find love? Beautiful Wiccan Charlotte Noone has a shop for magical supplies and a goddess who's pushing her to find the man of her dreams. When Patrick Riordan, a straight-laced non-believer enters her life, Charlotte falls madly in lust with him. Despite their very different lives, neither can stop the erotic journey they’ve embarked on, but will it be enough to break through their barriers so they can accept that love itself is magical?. .
about me
My Photo
Name:
Location: Southwestern, New Hampshire, United States

I'm 44 year old mom of 3. I work as a customer service rep for a publishing company, and I write. I have five published novels and working on adding to that.

Previous Posts
Archives
Blogs I Read
Template By
Free Blogger Templates
© Ceri Hebert