Monday, April 28, 2008
The Importance Of Jumping Into The Action
First of all, I haven't sent out my query and synopsis yet. Still waiting for those international reply coupons from the post office. In the meantime I've done enough editing on the manuscript so I'm putting it aside and bringing out Dreamer's Sea.

So, I'm reading through the beginning and I've decided it's a really slow start. Now this story isn't short by any means. It's not meant to be a Harlequin or Silhouette, but a single title. My question is, in a single title, longer book, how important is it to jump right into the action? I know that in shorter works it's necessary, but is it for longer?

Because if it is then I'm going to have to rewrite the beginning of Dreamer's Sea.

That makes me want to weep.

It's been a very hectic week, which is why I haven't posted much at all. But at least I've been getting my editing done. Seriously though, I'm sick of editing.

Off to work. I should get at least one more hour in tonight.
posted by Ceri Hebert @ 5:11 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At April 29, 2008 at 3:40 AM, Blogger Marianne Arkins said…

    Simple fact... for me, at least: If I'm not pulling into the story in the first couple of pages, I put the book down. I have little time to read, and I'm not going to read something I don't care about right off the bat.

    So, yeah, I'd say...jump in.

     
  • At April 30, 2008 at 5:39 PM, Blogger Diane Craver said…

    Hope you got the international reply coupons now so you can get your query and synopsis sent.

    I'm sorry you might have to rewrite the beginning of your single title. Could you have a Prologue? Whatever you decide I'm sure it will be great!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
The WeatherPixie


The Legacy:


DREAMERS SEA (REDUX):


THAT KIND OF MAGIC--AVAILABLE NOVEMBER 17,2010 What's a witch to do when she refuses to use magic to find love? Beautiful Wiccan Charlotte Noone has a shop for magical supplies and a goddess who's pushing her to find the man of her dreams. When Patrick Riordan, a straight-laced non-believer enters her life, Charlotte falls madly in lust with him. Despite their very different lives, neither can stop the erotic journey they’ve embarked on, but will it be enough to break through their barriers so they can accept that love itself is magical?. .
about me
My Photo
Name:
Location: Southwestern, New Hampshire, United States

I'm 44 year old mom of 3. I work as a customer service rep for a publishing company, and I write. I have five published novels and working on adding to that.

Previous Posts
Archives
Blogs I Read
Template By
Free Blogger Templates
© Ceri Hebert