Thursday, May 8, 2008
Out Of The Comfort Zone
Life has been pretty stressful over here in the Hebert household. I won't go into details except to say that I haven't been able to concentrate on writing for the last few days. I have been able to look over other wips that I've started and put aside though (sometimes I like to check in with old projects to see if there's anything worth keeping, to see if anything sparks my interest).

I think I've mentioned that I have a story that I started working on, oh, probably 17 years ago. A fantasy. It's a very ambitious project that I would love to complete because I love a good fantasy. But this project would be very time consuming, bigger than any project I've taken on before.

Now my question (or questions). Is it a smart idea to write outside your comfort zone? I write contemporary romances. I think I do a pretty good job at it. So should I put it aside to start on a completely new genre? And is it even a good idea for a new writer, who's trying to establish a fan base, to wander away from the genre she's writing in to try something new, or is this something that should be put off to a later date.

Not that I'm ready to jump into it today. I still have to polish up That Kind Of Magic, edit Dreamer's Sea (with it's new beginning) and write the sequel to Sweet Forever. Then I can decide.

The 5th season in New Hampshire has begun. Black Fly season has officially started. They come straight from the bowels of Hell. I'm sure of it. Soon they'll be joined by mosquitos.

I love spring in New Hampshire.

Labels: , , ,

posted by Ceri Hebert @ 1:52 AM  
4 Comments:
  • At May 8, 2008 at 4:02 AM, Blogger Diane Craver said…

    It is hard to know what to do.

    Lisa, our marketing director, told me I needed to focus on one genre while trying to get established. Even though I write chick-lit mystery, inspirational romance and mainstream, all are contemporary.I’m writing an inspirational romance right now and decided to focus on this genre.

    You seem very excited about the fantasy though so maybe you should get out of your comfort zone and go for it.

     
  • At May 8, 2008 at 6:58 AM, Blogger Amie Stuart said…

    OMG!!!!!!!!! Fracking blogger ate my comment!

    Okay lemme see if i can say it again. Absolutely positively! NO writing is wasted writing. You might find a second niche or better yet, your true niche. I once said I could NEVER write a sci-fi or paranormal and guess what my agent is shopping? That's right...a futuristic paranormal. And it's one of the best damned things I've ever written. So I say go for it!

     
  • At April 19, 2013 at 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's again critical that he maintains a valid checking account, because the loan provider, after approval of the loan application, would likely send the credit amount to her bank account [url=http://www.mvcsamedayloans.co.uk/]http://www.mvcsamedayloans.co.uk/[/url] http://www.mvcsamedayloans.co.uk/ , career training, training, help in search of employment) both for service customers and their partners while also doing resources offered http://www.lobjy.co.uk/

     
  • At June 9, 2013 at 6:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amidst all the war, economic gloom and ecological said blow not exactly treat. [url=http://pda.tulup.ru/noindex/newtopic.php?section=deti&istopic=0&topicid=17534]Find Out More[/url] Full Article Yet, they present some battle of the governing body that project managers must assert their Leadership by establishing steps backed by impertinent strategies to move the caller onward. http://trol.mobbimix.ru/showthread.php?p=36511#post36511

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
The WeatherPixie


The Legacy:


DREAMERS SEA (REDUX):


THAT KIND OF MAGIC--AVAILABLE NOVEMBER 17,2010 What's a witch to do when she refuses to use magic to find love? Beautiful Wiccan Charlotte Noone has a shop for magical supplies and a goddess who's pushing her to find the man of her dreams. When Patrick Riordan, a straight-laced non-believer enters her life, Charlotte falls madly in lust with him. Despite their very different lives, neither can stop the erotic journey they’ve embarked on, but will it be enough to break through their barriers so they can accept that love itself is magical?. .
about me
My Photo
Name:
Location: Southwestern, New Hampshire, United States

I'm 44 year old mom of 3. I work as a customer service rep for a publishing company, and I write. I have five published novels and working on adding to that.

Previous Posts
Archives
Blogs I Read
Template By
Free Blogger Templates
© Ceri Hebert